The East London Business Alliance (ELBA) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which we will process any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, in connection with the East London Buzzstops iPhone application (Application) and the ELBA “Discover East London” team challenges (where teams scout a location and send information for potential inclusion on the App). Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (Act), the data controller is East London Business Alliance of Level 3, City Reach, 5 Greenwich View Place, London E14 9NN, Company Registration No 04138032, Registered Charity No 1122173. ELBA is registered for data protection purposes with the Information Commissioner’s Office, Registration Number Z1993897.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide in the Application and through our content submission process on the ELBA website and any forms we may collect from you following “Discover East London” team challenges including your name and email address. This includes information provided at the time of submitting content for the Application, downloading and installing the Application or requesting further services or information in connection with the Application. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the Application.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your use of the ELBA Website and the Application including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access and information that you request.
We may collect information about your device, including where available your IP address, for system administration and reporting purposes. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Publicly displayed information
If you post comments to, rate content, or use a bulletin board on the Application, you should be aware that any information that you share is visible to other users. ELBA is not responsible for any personal information that you submit in these forums, which may be used or collected by other individuals, including to send you unsolicited messages.
Protecting your personal data
ELBA will take all steps required by law to protect your personal information, including appropriate technical, organisational and administrative measures to safeguard your personal data against loss, theft, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted on the Application; any transmission is at your own risk.
The Application contains links to third party websites. If you use these links, you leave the Application. ELBA has not reviewed, and is not responsible for, the privacy practices of other websites.
Uses made of the information
You consent to any personal data that you provide being processed in the following ways:
- to contact you about information and materials you submit in connection with the Application and through the submission process described in the section “Information we may collect from you” above.
- to ensure that content from the Application is presented in the most effective manner for you;.
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from ELBA;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and ELBA;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of the Application, where you choose to do so;
- to notify you about changes and updates to the Application and about associated products, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to help us monitor and improve the Application, including by requesting your feedback on the Application;
- to collate anonymised details about our user numbers and traffic patterns;
- to suggest volunteering opportunities or other ways to support East London charities and community organisations; and
- for any other purpose for which your permission was obtained when you provided the information.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to the company or companies that design and build the Application for us, who may use your data for the purposes set out above.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to protect the rights, property or safety of ELBA, users of the Application, or others.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to a third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at Level 3, City Reach, 5 Greenwich View Place, London E14 9NN or firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling ELBA on 0207 068 6960.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act.